Weekly Insurance Round-up Tuesday, March 15, 2022
Hello there! 👋
We're back with the next edition of Beshak's Weekly News Round-up - an analysis of all Insurance News & Updates, straight from our research desk! Don't forget to share your feedback with us, and give us a thumbs up if you find this helpful!
Let's get started! 🚀
- In consultation with IRDAI, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways released a draft notification for revising third-party motor insurance premiums.
- With this proposed revision, the third-party premiums for motor insurance will be increased after two years. The premiums were not increased in FY21 and FY22 because of COVID-19.
- As per the revised rates, the premiums will increase as follows:
|Vehicle type||Increase in rate|
|Private cars - 1000 CC||₹2,094|
|Private cars - 1000 to 1500 CC||₹3,416|
|Private cars - above 1500 CC||₹7,897|
|Two-wheelers - over 150 CC not exceeding 350 CC||₹1,366|
|Two-wheelers - above 350 CC||₹2,804|
- The premium for public goods carrying commercial vehicles will range from ₹16,049 to ₹44,242 depending on the gross vehicle weight, whereas the premium for private vehicles will range from ₹8,510 to ₹25,038.
- The premium for electric private cars will range from ₹1,780 to ₹6,712 depending on the capacity expressed in kilowatts and for two-wheeler electric vehicles, the premium will range from ₹457 to ₹2,383.
- As per the draft notification, a 15% discount has also been proposed for electric private cars, electric two-wheelers, electric goods carrying commercial vehicles, and electric passenger carrying vehicles.
- The industry experts are not very happy with the proposed draft. After not increasing the premiums for 2 years, they were expecting a decent hike from the regulator’s side.
Source: Business Standard
- Life insurer’s new business premium for February 2022 has increased by 22%, where the new business premium in February 2022 was ₹27465.13 Cr. as compared to ₹22425.21 Cr. in February 2022.
- The premium growth of the life insurers was mostly driven by LIC as it saw a growth of 35%. The new business premium of LIC was ₹17489.34 Cr. for February 2022 and ₹12920.57 Cr. for February 2021.
- Private life insurers also saw a growth of 5%, the premium for February 2022 increased to ₹9975.79 Cr. from ₹9504.64 Cr for February 2022.
- The cumulative new business premium for all life insurers up to February 2022 was ₹254654.02 Cr. which was more than February 2021's ₹234861.30 Cr.
- As per IRDAI’s monthly business figures- non-life report, non-life insurers have grown by ₹814 Cr in February 2022.
- The gross direct premium underwritten for February 2022 was ₹16,560.99 Cr. which was 5% more than ₹15,746.99 Cr. of February 2021.
- General insurers gross direct premium underwritten for February 2022 was ₹14,173.59 Cr. which was 7.7% more than ₹13,158.86 Cr. of February 2021.
- Standalone private health insurers also saw a growth of 30.24% where the premium underwritten increased to ₹1,831.63 Cr in February 2022 from ₹1,406.32 Cr. in February 2021.
- Two specialised PSU Insurers - Agricultural Insurance Company of India Limited and ECGC Limited saw a decline in their growth by 52.97% where the gross premium underwritten for February 2022 was ₹555.77 Cr and for February 2021 was ₹1,181.80 Cr.
Source: The Free Press Journal
- On 9th February 2022, Aditya Birla Sunlife insurance (ABSLI) announced a partnership with Bharat Co-operative Bank (Mumbai) Ltd.
- With this partnership, ABSLI aims to directly reach out to the Bharat Co-operative Bank's 5 lakh plus customers via their 103 branches (Mumbai) and provide them with relevant life insurance solutions to meet their life insurance and investment needs.
- ABSLI is also looking to expand its footprint across Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Gujrat through Bharat Co-operative Bank (Mumbai) Ltd’s widely spread network.
We need your feedback 🙏
Love it? Hit the 'It's perfect' button below! Have a suggestion to improve our content? Please leave us a comment. We absolutely appreciate it!
Be the first to get this weekly news analysis, on your phone. Join the exclusive Telegram Channel for Financial Advisors 👉 t.me/beshakforadvisors
We are a group of young members of the Beshak community. We come together to brainstorm, write relevant and useful content for people (just like us) who want to figure insurance on their own. If you too want to share inputs/write for us - send us a "hey" to firstname.lastname@example.org