Weekly Insurance Round-up Tuesday, September 27, 2022
Hello there! 👋
We're back with the next edition of Beshak's Weekly News Round-up - an analysis of all Insurance News & Updates, straight from our research desk! Don't forget to share your feedback with us, and give us a thumbs up if you find this helpful!
Let's get started! 🚀
✴️ 12% rise in gross direct premium income registered by Non-Life insurers ⬆️
✴️ Religare to raise ₹300 Cr for insurance business 💰
✴️ Zopper raises $75 million in Series C funding 🤑
- As per the Business Figures - Non-Life insurance report released by IRDAI, Non-Life insurers have reported a growth of 12% in their gross direct premium income in August this year.
- The gross direct premium collected in August 2022 was ₹24,471.95 Cr as compared to ₹21,867.93 Cr, the gross direct premium collected in August 2021.
- Private insurance companies also registered a growth of 9.28% where the gross direct premium in August 2022 increased to ₹ 17,101.75 Cr from ₹15,648.63 Cr in August 2021.
- Standalone private insurers also saw an increase in their gross direct premium where the premium collected increased by 9.28% to ₹2,059.38 Cr from ₹1,609.75 Cr.
- The two specialised PSU insurers also witnessed an increase of 15.21% in their gross direct premium where the premium collected increased from ₹4,609.55/- to ₹5,310.82/- Cr.
- On a cumulative basis, all 31 insurers' gross direct premium income during the period of April-August 2022-23 rose by 18.57% to ₹1,02,357.29 Cr from ₹86,329.09 Cr. in the same period of 2021-22
Source: The Economic Times
- Religare enterprises will be raising ₹300 Cr through a rights issue to grow its health insurance business.
- Earlier in July 2021, the company had raised ₹570 Cr through a preferential issue and the funds were invested in various verticals to grow its broking and housing business.
- Rashmi Saluja, Executive chairperson, said that they hate building a war chest to finance the growth of all subsidiaries, including health insurance and will raise more funds before the end of this year.
Source: Business Standard
- Zopper, an insuretech startup, has raised $75 million in series C funding that was led by Creaegis.
- The round also saw participation from ICICI Venture and Bessemer Venture Partners.
- These funds will be used to strengthen the company’s technology team to help its ecosystem partners distribute insurance technologically in a seamless way.
- Zopper is a B2B2C company that works with more than 150 partners. The firm sells around 3.5 lakh policies per month and operates in roughly 1,200 cities.
- The firm notably reached $100 million in annualised premiums in March this year and it intends to reach $500 million in annualised premiums in March 2024 and $1 billion by FY 2026.
Source: Business Standard
We need your feedback 🙏
Love it? Hit the 'It's perfect' button below! Have a suggestion to improve our content? Please leave us a comment. We absolutely appreciate it!
Be the first to get this weekly news analysis, on your phone. Join the exclusive Telegram Channel for Financial Advisors 👉 t.me/beshakforadvisors
We are a group of young members of the Beshak community. We come together to brainstorm, write relevant and useful content for people (just like us) who want to figure insurance on their own. If you too want to share inputs/write for us - send us a "hey" to email@example.com