Claim overlapping two policy periods
Suppose there is a health insurance policy no. 2020/xyz which is valid from 22-07-2020 to 21-07-2021. On 14-07-2021, the customer has renewed the policy. The renewed policy no. is 2021/xyz which is valid from 22-07-2021 to 21-07-2022.
Coincidentally, the customer has got hospitalized on 18-07-2021 and discharged on 28-07-2021.
For this hospitalization,
- does the customer have an option to claim from either of the policy?
- shall the claim be paid only from policy period in which date of admission falls? i.e. pol no. 2020/xyz
- shall the claim be paid only from policy period in which date of discharge falls? i.e. pol no. 2021/xyz
- shall the claim be paid equally from both policies?
- shall the claim be paid prorata from both policies? (if yes, is the calculation as simple as dividing by the number of days falling in each policy period or is it based on the actual charges encountered on each day which can become complex and is subjective)
- what if the above policy is a top-up policy? how's is the deductible calculated?