search icon
back arrow Back

Where to report insurance company forcing me pay increased premium

reply Share
17 Mar, 2021 by  Pavan

I have insurance plan for my parents with Star Health insurance, recently they forced me to pay 10k more premium without giving me any option for choosing add-on. They reason that IRDA guidelines to have free health check up every year for those with 60+ years. Worst part, my premium amount is 1.5 lacs for each of parents, free health check-up benefit is only applicable for those with premium 3 lacs or more. I tried to reach out everyone, but failed and had to pay 37k premium (10k more than last year). Note: This increment was not due to change in age bracket.

Hoping to get good guidance.


1 Answer

Regional Director, Amicus Insurance Broking

You can write to Ombudsman for grievance redressal if you have been subject to unfair increases in premium not permissible as per IRDA guidelines. Insurers can only charge premium as filed and approved by the IRDA. The suggested course of action is as follows:

  1. Write to the grievance officer of the insurer stating your grievance and asking reasons as to why your premiums have been increased and the relevant IRDA approved rate chart for the same.
  2. If there is no response within 30 days, you can file a grievance with the ombudsman. A simple plain paper complaint would do. No need for any legal support. You should get a decision within 3 months.
icon-comment 1 Comments
icon-reply Reply
19 Mar, 2021
icon-reply Reply

Tired of dealing with call centers!

Get a professional advisor for life!


Rs. 1799